Tuesday 23 April 2019

Pyometra: the silent killer in dogs.

This is off subject in compairson to what my blog was for. However, I feel the word needs to be spread to save other people heartache.


Last year when my son was due in July 2018, my dog Willow started acting strange; or should i say stranger.

Firslty, let me introduce you to Willow. She is currently 2 years old and a cross between a Chihuha and a Yorkshire Terrier. She is known as a "Chorkie"


To cut a long stroy short,  she began whining at night time. She became really attached to a teddy of hers, she wouldn't sleep until the teddy was near her. Literally, she would whine until it was close to her throughout the night and it got irritating. We didn't think much of it, in fact we thought she may becoming into heat. Until a couple of nights after, I noticed Willow was fatigued and barely moved about, and had a decreased appetite (I thought she was being fussy as usual and wanted human food).

Until one morning, I saw a brown discharge which had caked her tail and was coming out of her lady area. It looked rancid and she was staining absoloutely everything. So a quick trip to the vets, we were informed it looked like pyometra. Luckily, after an ultrosound it was confirmed the go ahead that antibiotics will clear it. We were informed that it may come back if we didn't get Willow spayed. But at that time it didn't seem important(that sounds bad) - but I was due to go into labour any day. I remember it clearly Willow's vet check up appointment was on my sons due date - thankfully he didn't arrive and we did make it to the vets. 

Moving on to this year(2019) when I am at my skintest from being on maternity leave. Willow starts acting strange again. We had another dog visit us one weekend in April, and they left (Willow knows this dog quite well) and my first thoughts were - Willow's missing Pirate. I gave it a day, but she was upstairs the entire day on that Monday. She didn't come down for food, for a wee or anything. However, at the weekend she was fine. No signs nothing, went for walks as normal etc. Nothing flagged up. 
On that Monday as I stated, she wasn't interested in anything. She was grouchy, didn't want affection. I checked her lady area and nothing was there as I had a sense it was coming back. Monday night, she whined for her teddy as she did last time. She couldn't sleep again without it. It wasn't my 9 month old son waking me up, it was my dog. That Tuesday morning, I rang the vets and got an appoinment at 13:00. Confirming that Willow had a temperature and was given a injection of antibiotics. We booked another appointment the following day to see if Willow still had a temperature, and I was advised to not feed her that morning as she was going to have an ultrasound to see if she would need the operation then and there.

Wednesday came along, vet saw her - Willow had a temperature still. She was panting which she never usually does and it was hot weather either. Off to the ultrasound room, it was confirmed Willow needed the operation today. I was due to go into work for a Keep In Touch day. I was so unprepared for this. I wasn't mentally prepared for the financial sting - baring in mind insurance wouldn't cover it. I went to work and tried to keep myself busy, the thought of leaving my poor baby at the vets alone hurt. 

18:00 came and we went to pick Willow up to bring her home after a whole day at the vets for her. £1,059 later and then the recovery process. 
Thankfully, 3 weeks on. Willow is fully recovered and her appetite is better than it ever has been. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about it creeping back.

Pyometra is so dangerous, it can kill dogs so young. Please, if you have a female dog - get her spayed ASAP. 
Read up on Pyometra here; understand the signs and spread the word!



And if you're unsure, get your dog to the vets anyway. Better to be safe than sorry.