Monday 4 March 2019

Maternity leave, how to survive it!

I wish I had planned for my maternity leave in advance, there are so many things I wish I could look back and tell myself now. I currently have 2 months just under left of my maternity leave.

For a start which made things more difficult was, that I was living in a rented accommodation and brought a house half way through my pregnancy. This made things so much harder. 

My main aim of this post is to explain some thoughts/things I wish I had thought about more before my son arrived.

1 - I wish I had saved more :-
Prior to going onto my maternity leave and when I was on full pay, I wished I had saved more.I wish I put money aside using the app Plum to help save money. Plum puts aside money from your account after looking into your out goings and in goings. I wish I saved up monthly. 

2 - I wish I didn't spend so much money on stuff that I didn't need :- 
For example, so many baby clothes that my son never got round to wearing, so many maternity clothes that I could of done with out. And much more home stuff that wasn't necessary and couldn't waited, but I couldn't resist buying home stuff after all - it was my first home!

3 - I wish I looked into stuff more and did my research. I've never done so much research in my life since having my son. Another example, I spent x amount of money on a Silver cross pram expecting that it would be absolutely fine as its such a big brand. I did get it on offer thankfully and didn't spend full whack. However I was wrong, it was the worst purchase I've made yet. Moving on, slings I wish I researched slings and which ones worked better, now I have 3 and 2 that I don't get on with. All these things that people suggest for you to get or not to get. Don't listen to them. Do your research and buy what you think/feel/believe you need.

4 - I wish I spent more time doing things I wanted to do:-
Sounds silly, but things like decorating. I was so keen to decorate the new house, yet I was limited to what I was able to do due to being heavily pregnant! But at least I managed to redecorate my sons nursery before he arrived.

5 - Tidy, tidy everything you wont get the chance to do:-
This, I did do some.With nesting in full swing when I was 39 weeks pregnant I managed to clean my car, hang out the blinds to dry, mop the floors etc. Mess builds up easily, and I am no way promoting that you should do it when baby arrives, make the most of those cuddles whilst you can. The tidying can wait.