Wednesday 13 June 2018

Pregnancy intro: me, myself & my life.

I live in the country side of Norfolk, United Kingdom.
At present I am into 37 weeks of pregnancy, with my partner Hal. This is our first baby and we are expecting a little boy. 

At present we are stuck for names, I hope that when our son arrives his name will pop into our head.

Finding out that we were expecting prompted us to get on the property ladder and buy our own house, obviously we could not have done this without our amazing supportive family. 

Pregnancy was smooth to begin with, I didn't believe I was actually pregnant until I saw that wriggly human on the screen as did my partner. I had no symptoms whatsoever past the first 12 weeks. 

The hardest part was actually keeping the pregnancy to ourselves and not telling anyone! The first 12 weeks seem to go on forever. 

After 12 weeks had been and gone and we had announced it to the world, this is when the symptoms of pregnancy kicked in for me. 



This was our announcement photo to the world, on the 19th of December 2017 💙

When it came to New Years I felt like I had drank a lot, headaches and sickness took over. Tiredness was also on another level for me. 

Around 23 weeks during my pregnancy, I was admitted to hospital because I had a pain in my left side. Nothing major, just thought it might be growing pains but 1st baby and the unknown - best to get it checked out. 

My partner took me to hospital, both thinking in our heads that it would be a breeze. In and out once we know everything it okay. Wrong. I ended up staying nearly 2 nights due to having a swab done called the Fetal Fibronectin - this was to test whether I would go into premature labour. Which basically, to sum it up is an uncomfortable yet quick swab that is done to test the glue on your cervix. After having it done, mine came back positive. And when discussing the test with consultants and midwifes, it appeared that the test has not been around long and seems to give better negative ratio's then it does positives. As advised that 80 people could be admitted to hospital, have this test done and it come back positive. However, just because its positive doesn't mean that you will go into labour. Only around 3 of the 80 may go into premature labour.

Anyway, after that I had multiple scans, bloods taken, numerous amounts of medication and the horrible nasty steroid injection. The steroid injections were to help keep my uterus strong to ensure that we gave baby the best positive start to staying in my tummy. The injection was administered twice within 24 hours, being 12 hours apart and it was injected into my bottom. The injection was something else - the needle was the biggest needle I've seen and boy oh boy did it make my bum cheek sore! 

After no changes nearly 2 days later, I was discharged and advised fully to rest and do absolutely nothing. 5 weeks past of me recovering and resting, slightly going crazy not being able to do anything just "in case". But I finally felt like myself again and felt pleased that baby hadn't popped out this early and unexpectedly. 

Onwards & upwards for this pregnancy...surely?!